Preserving the history of the parish of Sleat on the Isle of Skye

Knock

An Cnoc (the hill) Cnoc Uaine (green hill) The site of Caistel Camus, one of the medieval castles in Sleat.

The farm now known as Knock was made up of three parts – Knock, Castleton and Baravaig. There was a corn mill near the farm steading.

The parish minister lived here in the early 1800s and planted many of the trees near the farmhouse. Lord Macdonald’s sister Eva lived here for a while in the 1880s and painted murals in the farm house.

Toravaig House was built here in the 1933 by the tenants of Knock, Colonel and Mrs Kemble. It was inherited by their daughter who, in 1954, sold it to the Church of Scotland to run it as an eventide home. In 1968 it was converted into a hotel. Apart from a short spell in the late 1990s as a backpackers’ hostel, it has remained a hotel ever since.