Preserving the history of the parish of Sleat on the Isle of Skye

Kilmore

A’ Chill Mhòr (the big church) The site of the parish church.

Photo of Kilmore Church

For more information on the history of the church see under Topics

The new Sleat manse was built here in 1811 and a glebe created out of part of the farm. The existing tenants were so disgusted at this that, in protest, they ploughed it all up so the minister complained that there was nowhere to graze his cattle. Despite this protest the glebe was created and the remaining part of the farm was turned into 6 crofts.

Before the manse was built the local minister was given the tenancy of a farm in lieu - Aird, Ostaig and Knock were all at various times occupied by the minister.

The manse was known as An Taigh Bàn (the white house) although it was never actually white in colour - more a light grey. Fishermen would have easily seen it and used it as a landmark.

The parish school was situated in Kilmore (see under Topics). There was also a change house or inn near the church until the early 19th century.